To: Prospective Teachers
From: Simon Taylor, ABA Superintendent
Thank you for expressing your interest in teaching at the ABA.
As a leading IB World School, and recognizing that it is people who make organisations successful, I aim to recruit and retain the very best teachers and staff. In determining the suitability of candidates for a position at ABA, I will consider carefully the following:
- Qualifications, skills and experience relevant to the position
- Alignment with the school’s guiding statements
- Personal profile and character
- Understanding of cultural context and Oman
- Confidential recommendations (not testimonials)
You are encouraged to read carefully the information found in our school's web site to better understand the school.
Applications are accepted by email or by post. In either case, please send the following.
- A letter of application
- A curriculum vitae (resumé)
- A list of references
I aim to personally interview all candidates for employment at the school. Initial contact from the school may be made through a teleconference or return email. If candidates are short listed for final interview/s, I will set up meetings at major recruitment fairs, in major cities that I am visiting throughout the year or ask candidates to come to Muscat.
In general, I will be looking for teachers who show the following:
- Student-focused teachers: caring, competent & committed
- Professional contemporary educators with a desire to learn and innovate
- Hard-working, energetic and flexible people
- Collaborative team players and contributors to the ABA community
- Globally-minded and interculturally sensitive
- Happy, positive people who enjoy life and help others do the same.
I look forward to having the chance to meet with you and talk at greater length.
In 2017, I am scheduled to attend the Search recruitment fairs in Bangkok, London and Cambridge.
For those who do "join-up", I can promise you professionally challenging work and a personally exhilarating stay in Oman !
Openings for 2017 - 2018
Elementary, Middle School & High School
1. Early Childhood Teacher for K3 (Full -Time)
"ABA" seeks a talented and inspiring Teacher for Early Childhood for Kindergarten 3 who is able to commit to the school's Mission and believe in a philosophy and practice associated with the IB programmes.
2. MYP Mathematics / Science (Science major) (Full -Time)
"ABA" seeks a talented and inspiring teacher of MYP Mathematics and Science for Grades 6-8, who is able to commit to the school's Mission and believe in a philosophy and practice associated with the IB programmes.
Mission, Vision and Values
The mission of ABA - an IB World School is to provide an international education of the highest quality to enable students to be confident, responsible, caring, life-long learners. Our vision is that ABA students achieve their maximum potential in an environment of intercultural understanding and respect, to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing world. ABA values communication, diversity, inquiry, integrity, knowledge, open-mindedness, reflection, thinking, and the willingness to take risks.
ABA-an IB World School, founded in 1987, was the first K-12 authorized IB World School in the Arabian Gulf. ABA is a private, non-profit, English language co-educational day school that offers an academically rigorous K-12 IB curriculum to expatriate students in Muscat, the capital of the Sultanate of Oman. With seventy different countries represented in a community of 1056 students (309 in Grades 9-12), ABA promotes academic excellence within a context of intercultural understanding and respect.
The current campus is a charming group of buildings in the traditional style that has served the school well. The facilities are good and the school is well-resourced. Wishing to provide an even better learning environment for the students, the Board made a commitment to construct a new campus for the Middle and High School. Work has already begun and the campus will open in August 2018.
ABA-an IB World School is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. As an International Baccalaureate World School, ABA is authorized to offer the IB Primary Years Program (Grades K-5), the IB Middle Years Program (Grades 6-10) and the IB Diploma Program (Grades 11-12).
Faculty and Staff
ABA – an IB World School recruits highly qualified teachers who provide a supportive international learning environment for students. The 142 faculty and staff members at ABA represent twenty-three nations. All teachers at ABA hold at least a Bachelor’s degree and 48% have achieved a Master’s degree or higher.
Oman is a country known for the openness and generosity of its people. For hundreds of years the Omanis have traded and interacted with others from the Gulf region, the Indian subcontinent and Africa. Under the much revered and loved Sultan, Oman has grown into a modern nation that has managed to blend the values of the past with the developments of the present day. It is a young state that continues to grow yet maintains its unique character in the region and beyond.
Oman is full of stunning and diverse landscapes. From the mountains reaching 3000m to the sand dunes of the empty quarter, from the gorges and wadis to the endless beaches to the surprisingly green city, there is variety and beauty. With that comes opportunity. For those who love adventure and the outdoors, there is plenty. For others seeking a quieter life style, there is plenty too.
The climate is of two seasons that slide into each other: very hot and nicely warm. The sun shines and the sky is blue for all but a day or two a month, yet the buildings are cool and life is generally easy.
It is a very liveable and welcoming country.
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary – tax free in Oman
- Relocation benefits (flights and shipment)
- Health insurance
- Retirement benefits
- Tuition for dependent children (2)
- Professional development funds
Interested candidates should send an application at the earliest possible time.
Please note that the review of files will begin as soon as applications are received.
Candidates should submit the information requested below via email. The subject line of the email should state the position you are applying for. It must be submitted exactly in the form and manner requested. Please do not send any information other than that which is specifically requested below:
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this particular position
- A current CV/résumé not to exceed two pages
- A one or two-page personal statement outlining your beliefs about education and leadership
- A one-page list of references with accurate and current contact details, including position, phone number and e-mail address
Please note that ALL the above materials must be scanned into a single pdf attachment and sent directly to the school using the email address : email@example.com
Beware of Recruitment Scams
ABA An IB world School - Oman(ABA) will never ask or require teacher candidates to send money for application fees, interview fees, visas, plane tickets or other costs associated with recruitment. ABA does not ask potential teachers for information related to bank accounts or other private information. If you have been asked by ABA or another international school to send money to cover such costs, you are probably the target of an elaborate scam. Several good international schools have recently had their web sites cloned, and candidates have been asked to send large amounts of money. All international candidates are urged to be diligent in investigating potential schools during the recruiting process and prior to signing a contract. Use extreme caution if you have been asked for money or private information.
Here are a few quick ways to recognize fraud
- ABA emails end in "@abaoman.org". Any email styled with "ABA" using a different format is not genuine. ABA will NEVER request a prospective applicant to email information to an email address not ending in "@abaoman.org".
- ABA will NEVER request a prospective applicant to visit a website with any address that does not include http://www.abaoman.org
- Prior to employment offers, prospective employees are ALWAYS invited to an interview with ABA personnel.
- The location of the interview is ALWAYS provided to candidates either by phone, or e-mail from email account ending in abaoman.org
- No money transfers or payments of any kind will EVER be requested by ABA as part of the recruitment process; or for immigration documents, insurance, or any other purpose.
- No job offers will be made prior to a formal interview process from ABA.
- Should you experience any of the issues, please treat the communication as fraudulent and forward it to IT Manager. ABA will strive to investigate the situation and have corrective action taken.