To: Prospective Teachers
From: Dr. Susan R. Groesbeck, Head of School
Thank you for expressing your interest in teaching at the ABA.
As a leading IB World School, and recognizing that it is people who make organisations successful, I aim to recruit and retain the very best teachers and staff. In determining the suitability of candidates for a position at ABA, I will consider carefully the following:
- Qualifications, skills and experience relevant to the position
- Alignment with the school’s guiding statements
- Personal profile and character
- Understanding of cultural context and Oman
- Confidential recommendations (not testimonials)
You are encouraged to read carefully the information found in our school's web site to better understand the school.
Please note that ABA is committed to child-safe recruitment practices and fully endorses the policy and practices recommended by the International Task Force on Child Protection and within the context of Omani law.
All possible steps will be taken to ensure that thorough background checks, child protection interview questions and best practice procedures are implemented throughout the recruiting season including follow up reference checks and personal contact with referees. ABA will also cross reference potential new hires with relevant official sex offender databases where possible including, but not limited to, home of record and most recent country of employment.
Additional Visa Requirements
As per Omani law, a man can be hired without his wife working and resident in Oman. A woman cannot be hired if her non-working husband wishes to accompany her and be resident in Oman. 2. Unmarried couples cannot live together.
Applications are accepted by the link provided. Please send the following.
- A letter of application
- A curriculum vitae (resumé)
- A list of references
I aim to personally interview all candidates for employment at the school. Initial contact from the school may be made through a teleconference or return email. If candidates are short listed for final interview/s, I will set up meetings at major recruitment fairs, in major cities that I am visiting throughout the year or ask candidates to come to Muscat.
In general, I will be looking for teachers who show the following:
- Student-focused teachers: caring, competent & committed
- Professional contemporary educators with a desire to learn and innovate
- Hard-working, energetic and flexible people
- Collaborative team players and contributors to the ABA community
- Globally-minded and interculturally sensitive
- Happy, positive people who enjoy life and help others do the same.
I look forward to having the chance to meet with you and talk at greater length.
In 2020, I am scheduled to attend the Search recruitment fairs in Bangkok, London and Cambridge.
For those who do "join-up", I can promise you professionally challenging work and a personally exhilarating stay in Oman !
Mission, Vision and Values
The mission of ABA - an IB World School is to provide an international education of the highest quality to enable students to be confident, responsible, caring, life-long learners. Our vision is that ABA students achieve their maximum potential in an environment of intercultural understanding and respect, to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing world. ABA values communication, diversity, inquiry, integrity, knowledge, open-mindedness, reflection, thinking, and the willingness to take risks.
ABA-an IB World School, founded in 1987, was the first K-12 authorized IB World School in the Arabian Gulf. ABA is a private, non-profit, English language co-educational day school that offers an academically rigorous K-12 IB curriculum to expatriate students in Muscat, the capital of the Sultanate of Oman. With seventy different countries represented in a community of 1056 students (309 in Grades 9-12), ABA promotes academic excellence within a context of intercultural understanding and respect.
The current campus is a charming group of buildings in the traditional style that has served the school well. The facilities are good and the school is well-resourced. Wishing to provide an even better learning environment for the students, the Board made a commitment to construct a new campus for the Middle and High School. Work has already begun and the campus will open in August 2020.
ABA-an IB World School is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. As an International Baccalaureate World School, ABA is authorized to offer the IB Primary Years Program (Grades K-5), the IB Middle Years Program (Grades 6-10) and the IB Diploma Program (Grades 11-12).
Faculty and Staff
ABA – an IB World School recruits highly qualified teachers who provide a supportive international learning environment for students. The 142 faculty and staff members at ABA represent twenty-three nations. All teachers at ABA hold at least a Bachelor’s degree and 48% have achieved a Master’s degree or higher.
Oman is a country known for the openness and generosity of its people. For hundreds of years the Omanis have traded and interacted with others from the Gulf region, the Indian subcontinent and Africa. Under the much revered and loved Sultan, Oman has grown into a modern nation that has managed to blend the values of the past with the developments of the present day. It is a young state that continues to grow yet maintains its unique character in the region and beyond.
Oman is full of stunning and diverse landscapes. From the mountains reaching 3000m to the sand dunes of the empty quarter, from the gorges and wadis to the endless beaches to the surprisingly green city, there is variety and beauty. With that comes opportunity. For those who love adventure and the outdoors, there is plenty. For others seeking a quieter life style, there is plenty too.
The climate is of two seasons that slide into each other: very hot and nicely warm. The sun shines and the sky is blue for all but a day or two a month, yet the buildings are cool and life is generally easy.
It is a very liveable and welcoming country.
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Relocation benefits (flights and shipment)
- Health insurance
- Retirement benefits
- Tuition for dependent children (2)
- Professional development funds
Positions available for year 2019 - 2020
We currently do not have any job openings.
Beware of Recruitment Scams
ABA An IB world School - Oman(ABA) will never ask or require teacher candidates to send money for application fees, interview fees, visas, plane tickets or other costs associated with recruitment. ABA does not ask potential teachers for information related to bank accounts or other private information. If you have been asked by ABA or another international school to send money to cover such costs, you are probably the target of an elaborate scam. Several good international schools have recently had their web sites cloned, and candidates have been asked to send large amounts of money. All international candidates are urged to be diligent in investigating potential schools during the recruiting process and prior to signing a contract. Use extreme caution if you have been asked for money or private information.
Here are a few quick ways to recognize fraud
- ABA emails end in "@abaoman.org". Any email styled with "ABA" using a different format is not genuine. ABA will NEVER request a prospective applicant to email information to an email address not ending in "@abaoman.org".
- ABA will NEVER request a prospective applicant to visit a website with any address that does not include http://www.abaoman.org
- Prior to employment offers, prospective employees are ALWAYS invited to an interview with ABA personnel.
- The location of the interview is ALWAYS provided to candidates either by phone, or e-mail from email account ending in abaoman.org
- No money transfers or payments of any kind will EVER be requested by ABA as part of the recruitment process; or for immigration documents, insurance, or any other purpose.
- No job offers will be made prior to a formal interview process from ABA.
- Should you experience any of the issues, please treat the communication as fraudulent and forward it to IT Manager. ABA will strive to investigate the situation and have corrective action taken.